An Attempt to Get You Thinking about the Importance and Relevancy of Ministering To Teens In a Whole New Way

Saturday, April 5, 2008

Sensory perception of the Gospel

Is experiential teaching a good method for the current or future youth/student minster? It seems odd to me that we appeal to the senses for a spiritual response. Organs were once considered a taboo in the church, as were drums, is this just another cultural tide that the church must be taken by? My consideration of this topic is relatively new so I have no answers for those questions, but I will find, or determine them. It just seems weird to use a felt needs approach to present a fundamental necessity. So if I were to present 3 reasons why a teen should study scripture using Psalm 119:9-16 should I focus my efforts on proper exegesis or dramatizing those reasons in a way that the teens can experience with their senses? Can both, exegesis and drama, be used equally well and God honoring. Mel Gibson tried with The Passion of the Christ and was not able to totally balance the two; Southeast Christian Church did the same with their Easter pageant. Both works were very moving and compelling, both did a pretty good job sticking to the bible, but yet both also seemed to “play it safe” when the toes of culture might be stepped on. Any thoughts?

1 comment:

blbartlett said...

Hm... two posts. Looks like you hit a wall!

Not to fear, I have confidence in you. Also, I will give you a little help. I tagged you for a "meme" that a lot of Southern students are doing over at my blog post, the one entitled, "What is the weird Northerner reading?"

Just copy the questions and answer them! Good fun. Talk to you soon.